Friday, July 20, 2007

Vernal pool and poetry

Tamposi land, vernal pool#1 July 19,2007: rain, with lots of mosquitoes

Despite over night rain and afternoon rain today, vernal pool 1 has just about dried out. There are only a few green frogs left as compared to yesterday when there were hundreds. I like the changing nature of vernal pools. I'm sure it's one of the reasons I enjoy studying them. Hard work in the rain. We had thought the mosquitoes would lay down due to the rain but no such luck.

Poetry day back in the classroom:

Do you hear the chimes in the darkness of the early evening?
Walking quickly so as not to freeze

I hear the moan of the water as its molecules slow to a stop and change from liquid to solid

Do you see the diamonds cast upon the water?
A gift from the sun so that we will remember
lightness in the long nights of January

I see the ice growing in thickness as each day provides more cold than the river can endure

Do you smell the winter?
Standing here on the trail looking down on the creek
shifting side to side feeling the crunch of the dry frozen snow

I smell your warmth and hold dear the promise that it brings of a fire in the wood stove, soup in the kettle
and your soft hand held in mine.

5 comments:

Lara said...

The dramatic changes in green frog numbers and water levels of the vernal pool are reflective of these dynamic systems. It is terrific that you chose to research this important ecosystem.

Your poem is lovely. When did you write this one?

OZOne said...

I wrote this poem the morning of poetry sitting under the European Beech behind the coffee car. It is about a stream going up Mt. Ascutney on our way back from Gerry Falls on a 35 below afternoon.

NH HayShaker said...

I enjoyed your poem, particularly the questions relating to our senses- do you hear? do you see?
Experiences the outdoors through my senses is one of the things I appreciate and love the most, and it is kind-of-special to capture those feelings in a poem.
Thanks for sharing

Odonata said...

Wow! I can't believe vernal pool one is almost dry, especially with all of the rain we have had. I will be interested in hearing what happens to it over the next few days.

You have an amazing talent for writing. I look forward to more poems!

Mtn Girl said...

I know everyone seems to comment on your poem but I thought it was really amazing. You have such a talent for it! My favorite part was the end with the warm promise. I can defintely feel how you're feeling and have memories of the same :)