Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Tamposi land- Vernal Pool #1



July 18, 2007 Cloudy, humid no air movement- buggy


In one day what is left of the water in the vernal pool has dropped 6 cm. It was a day of more close identification of species left in each little pool of water named: Pool 1 is called Laverne and Pool 2 is called Shirley. Here are some of the things we found today: Lots of green frogs, both mature, juvenile and tadpole stage; another giant water bug; back swimmers (lots and lots); predacious beetles, water scorpions (2), mosquito larvae ectoskeleton and more moose tracks, hermit thrush and the list goes on. The green frog is an indicator that this vernal pool most likely has had other extended seasons like this and doesn't just dry up in April, May or June. Some species in vernal pools indicate whether other vernal pools are near by.


Something from my journal:


I love the sounds of the hermit thrushes. Their flute like song is a welcome reprieve to the constant buzzing of mosquito's. I love the pitch pine, with its dinosaur like bark, protecting the north side of the pool. I love the softness of the earth as it gives way to my heavy steps, kind of like a form of acceptance.

1 comment:

mossy green said...

Vernal pools sound interesting! I can see your curiousity. Do water scorpions bite like land ones? Do they look the same? What are hermit thrushes?
I really like your weather details. Meteorology was and still is my first love. I watch it every morning and if I could all day! At school my start to class always included converting the temperature to celcius and vise verse later in the semester. Keep up the great discoveries!!